Monday, February 11, 2013

I'll take it as a sign :: Saw Whet Owl

Just the other day I came across a photo of an owl that had made a visit to our house last year. It made me think of my Grandma Castor & inspired me to create the below layout for a later Crate Paper assignment {full layout coming later this month}. I hid the journaling on this one, but basically what I wrote was a list of what I would do or say to my lost loved ones "if Heaven wasn't so far away". The very last thing on my list was "I'd ask for a sign that you are watching over us"...


This past Saturday was a nice day, so Aaron, Ella & I set out in our timber looking for deer antlers {they shed them this time of year}. Aaron came across a pile of {well} poop & looked up thinking it was possibly from turkeys {they roost in trees at night}. When we looked up, there he or she was... the most amazing little owl I have ever seen & within arms length. He didn't fly as we took a few pictures with my ipod. He just sat there looking at us like "really?" Aaron picked up Ella to see it and she looked at her dad & in the sweetest 3 year old voice said, "it's beautiful daddy". Talk about melt my heart.
At first, we thought it was a baby owl. But, once we returned home & did some research we realized it is actually a SAW-WHET Owl. I couldn't stand the fact that I was only able to get a pic with my ipod & not my big camera. Plus, the boys weren't with us so I decided it was worth a shot to see if we could find him again. 
So, the boys & I set off back into the woods where we had left him; this time with my good camera in hand.
There he was as if waiting for us to return. He sat so beautifully while I snapped picture after picture....



These were all shot with my 50mm lens. THAT is how close he allowed me to get.


Thank you Grandma for the sign. 

9 comments:

chksngr said...

What a gorgeous little guy!! We have a barred owl that lands regularly in the trees of our back yard...sort of amazing when you consider we live in a sub-division of a medium sized city. I have always considered him a sign as well...its like God is saying "I'm here! Watching over you!" AMAZING Pictures!!

Ashley H said...

That is so awesome. I've never found shed antlers or seen an owl! I can't believe how close you got to him - truly beautiful!

Melinda said...

Those are beautiful photos of the owl! I can't wait to see your layout!

Leanne said...

beautiful. I can't wait to see your full LO..x

OhSuz said...

The pictures of your little owl are amazing! And it was so touching to read about it being a sign from your grandma-truly special.

betsy (pharmgirl) said...

OH MY GOSH - gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous Megan!
what a beautiful photo!

Faeriegiirl said...

So pretty! I wish I could stumble upon a friendly owl :-)

Lorry said...

So Beautiful... I love Owls and keep hoping to see one in their natural habitat like this.. You did get a sign... you were blessed!
Beautiful photos!

Debby said...

A truly beautiful sign from above :) STUNNING photography too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails